General network connections and settings guide. What to check for when having problems connecting/staying connected to the TQ cluster. Router settings, packet loss etc. etc.
If you are suffering problems connecting or staying connected to the TQ cluster here are the first things you should check for.
Is the server up?
Is the daily downtime in progress or is there a patch being deployed. Information on that can be found in the news section on our homepage
Can I ping the TQ cluster?
- In a command prompt ( terminal ) window type "ping 184.108.40.206" ( without the " )
If you get a response you can contact the server. Next, does the server respond.
- In the same terminal window type "telnet 220.127.116.11 26000" ( without the " )
If you do not get scrambled letter with EVE-EVE-TRANQUILITY@ccp try "telnet 18.104.22.168 3724"
- If neither of these work your firewall/router/ISP is blocking the ports so start by checking if your firewall/router has reset/updated it's rule set.
Router & Firewall
- First check if port 26000 and/or 3724 are open and unrestricted
- If there are any packet scheduling enabled, it has caused problems in many cases.
- If DMZ ( Demilitarized Zone ) is in effect and if the computer playing the game has DMZ set to it's IP in the router.
- In some cases disabling DMZ has solved connection issues.
- If there are any program restrictions set, if so disable those.
- Sometimes it's needed to disable the firewall completely in order to connect. Do note that some firewalls do not disable themselves completely, unless they are removed from the Windows startup process and the computer rebooted.
- Check your DHCP settings, it's possible your router is configured to update the IP address every X hours
- If you have any kind of Network software configuration try disabling it or reconfiguring it( i.e. the nVidia Network package has caused problems under some circumstances)
- If you use any kind of Parental software such as NetNanny make sure that it's configured correctly by adding eve.exe and exefile.exe to it's exception list
- If you are connecting through VPN and can not connect or are suffering disconnections of any kind, try disconnecting the VPN to see if there's any difference.
- If all goes well then you might need to reconfigure your settings in your router or VPN software so it does not route the traffic to Tranquility through the VPN connection.
- If you have a D-Link router check this KB article.
- Close all other programs that are running, some of these might be hooking themselves into Winsock and can cause problems of this sort. Here is more information on how you can try to detect and fix it.
What is port 3724 and how can I use it
Apart from the default connection port to Tranquility ( 26000 ) we have port 3724 open
Here's how you can change over to port 3724.
- Open your prefs.ini file. You can find the file in the following location.
- Press Windows Key + R and paste the following line into the Run window.
- %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\CCP\EVE\c_program_files_ccp_eve_tranquility if you use Windows XP
- %LOCALAPPDATA%\CCP\EVE\c_program_files_(x86)_ccp_eve_tranquility if you use Windows Vista and Windows 7
- Edit the PREFS.INI file and change port=26000 to port=3724
- Save the file and then launch the client and try connect.
- It will be necessary to open your prefs.ini file. You can find the file in the following location.
- Exit the game and go to the following folder in Finder:
- /Users/username/Library/Application Support/Eve Online/p_drive/Local Settings/Application Data/CCP/EVE.
- In there, there are subfolders named settings and cache, open the settings folder.
- Edit thr PREFS.INI file and change port=26000 to port=3724
- Save the file and then launch the client and try connect.
Cable & Wireless
- Check if the network cable is faulty by trying another one.
- Update your network card's drivers
- If you are using a Wireless connection check the configuration for the wireless adapter as well as the router's wireless configuration settings, to see if there are any forced updates being done periodically.
- In some cases disabling IPV6 on the Wireless card has helped
- If none of the above helps connect your computer to the router by cable and see if that makes any difference.
- If your house has thick walls, it's very likely the signal is being dispersed due to the steel bars in it.
- Check your Wireless configuration to see if there's anything indicating it's being disconnected if the connection seems to be idle.
- Try changing the channel on the router, if you have a set channel it might be conflicting with another router nearby
- Also check your Windows Power settings, if the profile is set to power save it can shut down the Wireless card if the battery is low.
I stop at Aquiring bulk data when trying to log in
- Clear your cache and settings files
- If that doesn't work rename the bulkdata folder in your EVE installation folder ( by default C:\Program Files\CCP\EVE\ ) to bulkdata2 and then try log in.
I can log in but nothing happens when I select my character
- Clear your cache and settings files and folders, this is in most cases cause, as these files could be corrupt and thus unusable.
- Make sure you have the latest graphics card drivers for your graphics card installed, as well as the latest update for DirectX.
- Close other programs that use bandwidth, this includes all file sharing and P2P programs ( torrents and such ), webradio/video application and webpages as well as news feeders.
- Close other programs that need to do harddisk seeks, and use CPU power. If they suddenly need to use the CPU or fetch something from the harddrive it can cause hickups.
- If you have an anti-virus program installed, it could be beneficial to exclude the EVE directory and the cache and settings folders for EVE from periodic searches.
- There are programs out there ( Game booster or Windows Service Optimizer ) that do the above for you.
Test your connection to the TQ cluster
Currently the server is not accepting ICMP packets and it is therefore not possible to ping TQ.
Top Contributors For This Page