Well, we need a new article, and the main one is locked, so I figured we could start writing it here. Here's a draft, but feel free to edit it like an article. Herschel Yamamoto 22:01, 29 December 2008 (UTC)
- I think I've gotten this to the point where it'd make a good guide - not perfect, and still in need of some wiki magic, but quite usable. Do YARR people want to unlock the main article, or should I copy it into a new title(e.g., "Level 4 Mission Fitting Guide")? Herschel Yamamoto 07:08, 30 December 2008 (UTC)
- I've unlocked and moved the article. Feel free to make the changes. --ISD Salpsan 07:34, 30 December 2008 (UTC)
- Updated. Hope people like this one.
Also, if I may be snarky for a moment, is Jason going to have to ask permission to edit "my" article now? :P Herschel Yamamoto 08:59, 30 December 2008 (UTC)
- I agree it looks good. There are a few of factual errors, like the Dominix thing, as you can fit Sentry Damage Augmentors to increase DPS on it. But those should get scrubbed out as more people view it and get their input on it. I like the separate 'fit' pages as well, I think you are right about making the item database pages too long. Plus, I don't like to rely on the item database pages, they seem a little wonky from time to time. I just want to make sure that Jason's fitting work doesn't get lost in the process, as I ended up building a ship due to his suggestions. --Kismeteer 23:46, 29 December 2008 (UTC)
- I know about SDA's, I just tend to neglect them - they don't add very much for what they take up, they don't help you kill lighter ships, and you can only use one realistically since if you use two you can't have a third rig. It might need to be noted, but I glossed over it intentionally. My wording was probably a bit strong, though, it's been changed. Herschel Yamamoto 01:45, 30 December 2008 (UTC)
After some discussion on our IRC channel, YARR has devised a rough plan the future of fitting guides:
This page would see a complete overhaul and become a guide to the basics of fitting for level 4 missions. New pages for the fittings of specific ships will be added, and linked both from this page as well as the item database entry. i.e, lvl 4 mission fit guide -> Raven (Fitting guide) <- Raven (raven idb page)
The sheer quantity of possible fittings makes it unreasonable to place all of this information on one page. There is too much material to read, and not enough room for ships with different load outs. We have determined that this page is better suited as a general guide than the ultimate source of information for every single ship capable of running missions.
We discussed placing fits on the item's Database page, but as evidenced in ship fit forums, this information can take up a lot of space. Each ship can have potentially dozens of fits, all of which could be valid in certain situations. If too much information was present on the page (ie, a dozen fits for the Raven), it would be prohibitive towards its purpose to inform.
By providing a fittings page for each ship, players gain the freedom to add their own fits without having to remove or modify other fits in order to have theirs displayed. These fittings will be moderated to prevent the addition of not useful or poor setups (IE, laser Ferox).
A new category of Ship Fittings will be added to aid navigation.
We'll be working out the details and implementing these changes in the near future. For now, feel free to discuss these potential changes and provide feedback. --ISD Salpsan 10:14, 29 December 2008 (UTC) and ISD Othismos 10:24, 29 December 2008 (UTC)
- I would like it if you could leave the page as is. If not add in a few formatting dealios to clean it up. Then when the time comes to link the page to the fitting pages. You make a notation-link to the pages in the article underneath the appropriate ship.
- This page can't really be left as it is, for the reasons discussed above. It is too long and tries to do too many things. Disagreements about the setups are what have caused this flame war, and these changes aim to deal with it; there are multiple possible fittings which are valid in different situations. This page needs to become a general reference guide to prevent redundancy and confusion. ISD Othismos 18:43, 29 December 2008 (UTC)
- The fitting pages should have a voting-comment area just as battleclinic has in play. That way good setups are near to the top of the page and bad ones are somewhere not so visible.--Jason Edwards 10:59, 29 December 2008 (UTC)
- Agreed in principle, but that's basically the function of the discussion page. Use that space to talk about which ones are best, what the page order should be, and all that stuff. Herschel Yamamoto 17:08, 29 December 2008 (UTC)
- Also could I have the ability to edit the page in order to further improve the page. I still didn't complete everything. My next step afterwards was to give a rough estimate of the total cost of each of the ship fits.--Jason Edwards 10:59, 29 December 2008 (UTC)
- Figure it out, save it on your computer(or put it in here), and add it to the new pages when they're ready. Herschel Yamamoto 17:08, 29 December 2008 (UTC)
- Placing new content would be best on the new pages. The chief reason for doing this is to create room for more than one kind of setup per ship. In addition, we don't really have the ability to give one person the power to edit any particular locked page, I'm afraid. ISD Othismos 18:43, 29 December 2008 (UTC)
- I like this solution. Makes the whole thing work a lot better, without getting into as many edit wars. You need our help implementing it? Herschel Yamamoto 17:08, 29 December 2008 (UTC)
Top Contributors For This Page